Fresh Basil Pesto
Pesto is a versatile sauce used in many recipes. It's easy to make and you can keep a ready supply in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan-reggiano or romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a food processor ...
1. Combine the basil with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
2. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Yields 1 cup.
Pesto is great served over pasta. Or try as a spread over toasted baguette slices.